What Is CBD?
It’s safe to say 2019 was the year of CBD. It’s popularity on the shelves of wellness stores, smokeshops, and online speaks for itself. But why is CBD so popular and frankly what is this mysterious compound?
CBD is the chemical compound abbreviation for Cannabidiol and is the natural compound prevalent in cannabis. So you are probably wondering is CBD marijuana? The answer to that questions is NO. The other major component of the cannabis plant is THC. These are two separate compounds that come from the same plant that have different effects when consumed. So you are also probably wondering if CBD will make you high. The answer again is NO. In fact, THC and CBD are counter acting compounds.
CBD is a non-intoxicating compound. Unlike THC, which can cause euphoria and be very intoxicating.
How Does CBD Interact With My Body?
CBD interacts with different receptors in the body and based on tens of thousands anecdotal references you can find all over the internet, have helped them with a vary of ailments.
The reason is CBD interacts with the CB1 and CB2 receptors in our body. This chart demonstrates what the responsibilities of those CB receptors are and what systems they are connected to.
The CB1 & CB2 Receptors
Two primary endocannabinoid receptors have been identified: CB1, first cloned in 1990; and CB2, cloned in 1993. CB1 receptors are found predominantly in the brain and nervous system, as well as in peripheral organs and tissues, and are the main molecular target of the endocannabinoid ligand (binding molecule), anandamide, as well as its mimetic phytocannabinoid, THC. One other main endocannabinoid is 2-arachidonoylglycerol (2-AG) which is active at both cannabinoid receptors, along with its own mimetic phytocannabinoid, CBD. 2-AG and CBD are involved in the regulation of appetite, immune system functions and pain management – Source Wikipedia
What Affects the Potency or % of CBD?
There are many things that can affect the final potency of the CBD product you are asking about. The genetics of the plant, how it was grown (indoor or outdoor), how it is cultivated, how much sun the hemp plant received, and if not using the raw flower, how it is extracted from the hemp flower.
- Genetics of plant – Depending on what strain the CBD comes from, the potency of that natural strain’s genetics is a certain potency.
- Extraction method – The extraction method can affect potency.
- Distilled or not – If CBD is distilled it becomes more pure percentage wise.
- Supplemented with more CBD – CBD Moon Rocks would be example of a CBD product that is further supplemented with more CBD.
The Extraction Methods
So there are different ways to extract CBD from the hemp plant and depending on the processing of that extraction will determine what levels of the compound are leftover.
The full extraction from the hemp plant using a variety of extraction methods including ethanol and CO2. Nothing is stripped. It is the most true form of the hemp plant. It will tend to be lower in CBD than distilled versions of CBD oil such as Full Spec as there are a higher percentage of other ingredients in RAW crude oil. Very few companies are selling CBD products with RAW crude as the active ingredient as the taste is quite gross tasting.
Whole plant extracted cannabinoids distilled from RAW crude CBD oil. Post distillation the CBD content is slightly concentrated.
- Pros: contains full spectrum of cannabinoids including the entourage effect and maximum level of CBD benefits.
- Cons: contains THC, but within legal limits.
Whole plant extracted cannabinoids with the THC extracted.
- Pros: contains a broad spectrum cannabinoid profile (less than full spectrum)
- Cons: Broad cannabinoid profile, medium level of benefits of the CBD compound
Extracted to powder or liquid. Has zero taste.
- Pros: 99% pure CBD, 0 THC
- Cons: Limited cannabinoid profile, lowest level of benefits of the CBD compound
What Is CBD Oil?
CBD oil is an extracted end product from the hemp plant. The potency of the CBD can be measured by a lab report. You don’t want to buy a CBD product without knowing that its been 3rd party lab tested. At Tillmans Tranquils we have lab reports for all of our products.
CBD oil is probably the most popular CBD product on the market. It is typically sold in a 30ml bottle with a dropper. Most often sold in an amber or white colored bottle to protect the CBD oil from light as light exposure effects CBD oil degradation over time. This is known as a CBD Oil Tincture.
CBD Oil is sold in a variety of potency. It is very common to see CBD Oil tinctures available in 500mg, 1000mg, 1500mg, 2000mg, and 3000mg potency levels.
CBD vs THC
- THC levels < 0.30%
- Federally legal
- Available anywhere without medical card, license or prescription
- Highly Intoxicating
- THC levels range from 10-25%
- Federally illegal
- Few states allow it recreational, medical, or scientific
- Must be purchased at licensed stores
What are the CBD edible options?
Of course we are partial to our CBD mints as they encapsulate full spectrum CBD oil into a super tasty confectionery mint. Below are the mint options.
CBD Edibles / Candy
Where to Buy CBD Oil?
There are several places available on and offline that have CBD oil. Below are our CBD oil options.
CBD Oil Options
What Are the Benefits of CBD?
The FDA does not allow brands such as ours to make any therapeutic claims regarding CBD as official studies for the compound have not been finalized or made public yet. However, the anecdotal usage by millions of people worldwide have been having success using CBD for a variety of illnesses, ailments, and maladies ranging from neuro, muscular, mental, and more.
Please do your own research and if you are on this page you probably already have.
- Study: Cannabidiol as an emergent therapeutic strategy for lessening the impact of inflammation on oxidative stress
- Study: Cannabinoid–Opioid Interaction in Chronic Pain
- Study: Among children and adults with the Lennox-Gastaut syndrome, the addition of cannabidiol at a dose of 10 or 20 mg/kg/d to a conventional antiepileptic regimen resulted in greater reductions in the frequency of drop seizures than placebo.
Have you read what other people say about Tillmans Tranquils?
Is CBD Legal?
The 2018 Farm Bill legalized hemp cultivation and sale of hemp products as well as hemp extracts. Hemp, by federal law, cannot contain more than 0.3 percent THC. Lab reports will show the THC levels. Hemp with more 0.30% THC is classified as marijuana and qualifies as a schedule 1 drug by the Drug Enforcement Administration and is federally illegal.
FDA approved the use of CBD in the drug form for seizures called Epidiolex, despite having benefits beyond seizures.
If a hemp plant with less than 0.3 percent THC than it is considered Industrial Hemp, you can buy CBD made with industrial hemp under federal law. However, there are several (very few) states that regulate it differently.
What Does CBD Oil Taste Like?
How Is CBD Oil Made?
How Long Does It Take To Feel CBD Effects?
How Much THC Is In a CBD Joint?